Mountain State Spotlight, a nonprofit news organization, is looking for a curious and entrepreneurial team member to help focus our journalism and grow our readership.
Our audience manager will work with our editorial staff to help engage West Virginians and make sure their voices and experiences are reflected in our journalism, as well as working after publication to get our accountability stories in the hands of people who need them the most. They will also work with our business team to develop a new funding model for West Virginia journalism by building a best-in-class reader revenue program.
Founded in March 2020 by award-winning, veteran West Virginia journalists, Mountain State Spotlight went from pitch to publish in less than six months — in the midst of a raging global pandemic. We have 10 employees, and a plan to continue expanding our coverage, with bureaus planned across the state.
The audience manager will help Mountain State Spotlight serve West Virginians, grow our readership, and increase our audience revenue by:
- Keeping an eye on metrics for all of Mountain State Spotlight’s platforms, creating monthly reports and recommendations for the editorial and business teams.
- Managing all of our social media feeds, working with reporters, editors and development staff to craft social media content that resonates with our audience.
- Working with editorial staff on headlines and SEO, using analytics and tools like Google Trends for maximum reach.
- Spearheading Mountain State Spotlight’s engagement with communities around the state, including social media call-outs, special events, and story tip outreach.
- Managing community audience connections, including advisory groups.
- Managing Mountain State Spotlight’s membership program, working with the development staff and editors to grow the number of West Virginians that are financially supporting the organization, and retain our current members..
- Working with our partners at News Revenue Hub on membership program maintenance, including setting goals, identifying growth opportunities, and developing strategies to meet targets.
- Leading Mountain State Spotlight staff in trainings on best practices for social media and community engagement.
Our audience manager will be part of Mountain State Spotlight’s editorial team, and report to our Managing Editor. But they will work closely with our business team, helping our organization meet goals for both growing our readership and increasing our audience revenue.
You’re a good fit if you:
- Are passionate about journalism, intrigued by difficult questions and like a challenge.
- Have a bachelor’s degree or at least two years of work experience.
- Get excited about building a new model for journalism for West Virginians that is focused on serving our state and helping our neighbors make it a better place to live.
- Have a demonstrated familiarity with various social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc.), maintain your own accounts and have clear ideas of how a journalism organization can use each tool and what will come next.
- Are both creative and analytical, and thrive when you’re allowed to use both sets of skills.
- Like to collaborate, and believe that we’re all stronger when we work together.
- Are committed to building a successful audience revenue operation that expands readership and makes journalism available to everyone through a financially sustainable donation funnel.
- You are pumped to help make sure as many West Virginians as possible see our journalism, and equally as pumped to help us find important stories by listening to our neighbors.
Do you love the sound of this job, but you don’t quite check all of these boxes? Do you have skills we haven’t thought of yet? Don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, veterans, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Compensation and benefits
- Full-time, competitive salary
- Benefits, including 75% company-paid health insurance and 401k
- Twenty-five days of paid time off in addition to holidays and our annual “dark week” between Christmas and New Year’s.
- Paid parental leave.
- Flexible work schedule. Some weekend and evening hours will be required.
To apply or to ask questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send us a resume and a cover letter that tells us why you are right for Mountain State Spotlight’s team.