Are you experienced with Excel and enjoy working in finance? Do you like working in a small, collaborative office environment and enjoy administration? This is not a sales or secretarial position. This is a great opportunity to work alongside and learn from experienced leaders in the nonprofit sector. You don’t need decades of experience; 3-5 years would be helpful, but you’ll learn the rest with us.
Mountain State Spotlight, a nonprofit news organization, seeks an entrepreneurial, mission-oriented operations manager with collaborative skills that include financial, human resources, project management and administrative experience. The successful candidate will also have excellent interpersonal communication skills, the ability to exercise discretion, independent judgment and business acumen.
The operations manager will report to our executive director and help ensure strong business operations that put Mountain State Spotlight at the forefront of a national movement to rebuild and reimagine local news.
Mountain State Spotlight’s business operations have as their core purpose to support our mission by making sure financial and operational functions allow our reporters and editors to focus on producing the journalism that West Virginians want, need and deserve.
Founded in March 2020 by award-winning, veteran West Virginia journalists, Mountain State Spotlight went from pitch to publish in less than six months — in the midst of a raging global pandemic. We have 10 employees, and a plan to continue expanding coverage across the state.
Our business operations are led by Executive Director Ellen Allen, a fixture in West Virginia’s nonprofit community, with more than three decades of management and leadership experience.
The operations manager will provide program support and oversight by:
- Supporting the Executive Director and ensuring overall service delivery and effective and efficient business operations.
- Organizing and coordinating office operations and procedures.
- Working with the Executive Director in preparing, managing, and monitoring organization budgets.
- Providing support to the Managing Editor and leadership team.
- Cultivating and maintaining strong relationships with staff and partners.
- Supporting the Development Manager and assisting the team in establishing and maintaining systems for development initiatives.
The operations manager will provide financial/administrative leadership and support by:
- Assisting the Executive Director in developing mechanisms that support the goals of Mountain State Spotlight.
- Assisting the Executive Director in managing Mountain State Spotlight’s finances including budget development and tracking; preparation of monthly financial statements including profit/loss, cash flow, and balance sheet.
- Managing accounts payable and receivable.
- Preparing bank deposits, payment processing and reconciliation of monthly bank statements
- Assisting the Executive Director with implementing and managing human resource functions including personnel policies and procedures; payroll processing; health care benefits; PTO; hiring and exiting processes; employee relations; and performance review procedures.
- Providing support to Development Manager in grant/contract management, grant and report writing, publications/materials, and special event planning.
- Assisting with grant accounting, ad-hoc reporting and annual audit preparation and ability to back up leadership in preparation of grant proposals and compiling information for funders, government agencies, etc. as needed.
- Ensuring the business is compliant with all applicable city, state, and federal laws and regulations.
The operations manager will support information technology, system and property by:
- Guiding and overseeing organizational systems including technology infrastructure, office operations, central databases, and information systems.
You’re a good fit if you have:
- A degree in business or related field and minimum three years of relevant experience or bachelor’s degree in a related field and five years of experience with a non-profit or business.
- Experience and proficiency in working with business financial systems including QuickBooks for Nonprofits, Microsoft Office Suite and Google Business.
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial newsroom that values a diverse, inclusive, and equitable work culture that values collaboration.
Compensation and benefits
- Full-time, competitive salary with benefits
- Three weeks of paid time off in addition to holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible work schedule
We’re committed to building an inclusive organization that represents the people and communities we serve. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, veterans, LGBTQ+ people and people with disabilities.
To apply or to ask questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send us a resume and a cover letter that tells us why you are right for Mountain State Spotlight’s team.